Sunday, October 25, 2009

Bittersweet

Just before I put Evan to bed tonight, I noticed that the bottom rail that holds the side slats was loose. Dave and I theorized that it came loose because of how he gets out of his crib...he uses it as kind of a step. Once I saw this, I knew that he couldn't safely sleep in the crib until we fix it. And we simply didn't have the time to fix it because he was about to go to bed.

I had been contemplating moving Evan to a toddler bed. I knew that he was probably ready, but I wasn't so sure that I was. I love our crib. I love how it looks in Evan's room. I love the little cowboy decal on the side. I wanted a picture of the room when we finished decorating it, and we haven't quite gotten there yet. And besides all of that, and most importantly, he's our last child in a crib. **Sigh**

I knew he would be excited, and so proud of being a big boy in a big bed. I've been so anxious to share that moment with him. I knew that his big brothers and big sister would be so excited for him too.

This is a very bittersweet milestone.

I guess that I could have pulled out Evan's pack-n-play when I noticed the broken crib. However, I just went with my gut feeling that said that it was time. And it was.

With Evan's "help," Dave brought the toddler bed up from the basement. We switched the mattress from the crib into the bed. I spread out his new cowboy comforter and attached his music box. And then Evan tried out his new bed.

He loved it!

We rocked in his chair for a few more minutes talking about this exciting event, how he is big enough to sleep in a big bed now, just like Henry, Seth and Caroline. We talked about how once we put him in his bed, he stays there and goes to sleep. If he wakes up, and its still dark outside, he should just close his eyes and go back to sleep. But if he wakes up, and its light outside, he can come and wake us up to tell us, "It's morning time!" He agreed that this was a good idea.

I have to admit that I was thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how this is going to go..."

However, and I still can't believe it, Evan did NOT get out of bed even once! Dave and I were floored. Fifteen minutes later, all was still quiet in his room, so I went in to check on him. This is what I saw...


He's a big boy! I am so proud of him! :)

And here's our empty crib. **Sigh**

No comments: