Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthday Eve

Tomorrow is my birthday...the big 3-9. With a cub scout den meeting and homework and general Monday busy-ness, we decided to celebrate today with a big night out at Portillo's. I love that restaurant...it's family friendly and the food is delicious...

Caroline and I are big fans of the chopped salad. We split one tonight, and she was one happy camper. Go figure, huh? There's hot dogs, chicken, french fries, and other kid-friendly cuisine, and Caroline chooses a chopped salad. She takes after her mother. Apparently, my favorite food as a child was broccoli. I wish that was the case now. ;)

Evan, on the other hand, was all about his hot dog. He polished this one off in under 5 minutes.
On the way home, Henry taught the other kids his favorite (very brief) birthday song. Henry was a little upset with Evan's lack of birthday song singing focus, but quickly forgave him because Evan was so darn cute saying "CHEESE!"
(Words to the song if you'd like to sing along...This is your birthday song. It isn't very long. The end.)


Of course, Evan had his own version of a birthday song that he insisted on singing for the camera. The poor child. I am not sure if he will ever be able to sing the traditional song, what with all of the different versions we sing around here...


When I was putting him to bed tonight, I was talking to him about how his birthday was coming up. I told him about how he would be turning three, and that we would make him a birthday cake, and we would sing...
Happy birthday to you!
You live in a zoo! (Evan: giggle, giggle, "Not a zoo, Mommy!")
You smell like a monkey. (Evan: More giggles. "I'm not a monkey!")
And you look like one too! (Evan: Giggle, giggle, giggle.)

He then promptly told me that I was...an elephant. ;) Yeah...not quite the zoo animal that I would want to identify with, but funny nonetheless!

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

It doesn't seem possible that you have reached that milestone in your life! Especially since, I just barely turned 39 myself! We look forward to our singing birthday call to you this morning. We love you so much! You are an amazing daughter and we thank God for blessing us with you!

Love,
mom & dad