Saturday, March 19, 2011

Top Ten List--Things that are making me happy today

1. My husband. I love that he takes the boys on their scout camping trips, and that they have such a good time together. They just called me from a hike they're on, and Dave said that Henry is having the time of his life. :)

2. Henry. I love that before he left, he was so excited to show me a new flashlight that Dave had gotten him. He said that this would be the best camping trip EVER, partially because of his excitement over the flashlight. It's the simple pleasures in life, huh?!

3. Seth and Caroline. These two have been bosom buddies yesterday and today. Usually when Henry is home, most of Seth's attention goes to him. Seth and Caroline have been inseperable when we went out to eat last night, having a sleepover in the basement, playing with Moxie, exploring by the pond, playing Wii...you name it. To top it off, they've planned a family night tonight where we're going to make homemade pizzas and watch a movie. They're trying for another sleepover too. Caroline is a happy girl right now :)

4. Evan. He is trying to spell EVERYTHING. I think that he's fixated on it because Caroline keeps asking how to spell things when she is writing, and she does a lot of that. (Lately, she's been composing a lot of songs for the piano, so she's writing a lot of "sheet music"!) Evan doesn't ask how things are spelled, he tells us. Example: "Mom" is spelled "Q-R-T-X". Tree is spelled "N-R-B-G-U".

He does this many times a day, much to our amusement.

5. My cell phone. Is it wrong to be in love with a gadget? Can't help it. But maybe the following will make me seem less shallow...I downloaded a copy of The Message Bible, and have been reading it whenever I get the chance (ie., when I am waiting in line to pick up my kids from school). It's so cool to have the whole Bible on my phone. My mind is boggled.

6. Heaven for Kids. My sister gave me a copy of this book right after our Aunt Shirley passed away. We talked to the kids a lot about heaven because of our aunt, but to be able to address all of their questions with the help of this book has been invaluable. I love the rich discussions we've had as a result, and the learning that is taking place for all of us.

Every night after the kids read on their own for a while, we curl up together in bed together to read Heaven. We've liked this so much that we are going to continue it when we're done with this book. Next up? The Chronicles of Narnia. This series was mentioned a lot in Heaven, so it's the perfect follow up. I love reading together with my kids, just as I loved it when I was a teacher.

7. Will power. I've made banana bread, cinnamon rolls and spaghetti-o's (I know...gross...but I love them!) for the kids, and have not had any myself. I keep reminding myself that I am choosing how I'm feeling right now over indulging in my trigger foods. Reading Made to Crave has helped me a lot with this. (Thanks again, Lisa!)

8. I'm maintaining my target weight. :) And I feel great! I'm looking forward to my first 5K in May.

9. Being outside. When Evan wakes up from his nap, we're taking Miss Moxie on her first hike at our local forest preserve. Yay, warm weather!

10. I bought a .pdf of my blog today. I'm so glad to have a copy of my blog locked away on my computer. Next, I need to figure out how to transfer that copy to a DVD or something. I think that I'll make a copy of my blog yearly, put it on a DVD, and then lock it in our safe. We have book copies, but we could lose those in a fire or something. These family memories on my blog are priceless to me, and it makes me feel so much better that they will be safe.

No comments: