Thursday, March 24, 2011

Some of my favorite things on the Eat Clean Diet

At the request of my sister, brother-in-law, and a couple of my friends who are starting the Eat Clean diet, I am writing a shopping list of my favorite foods.

Breakfast--7:00 AM
Irish or Steel Cut Oats (for oatmeal)
Blueberries (one handful)
Almond Milk (because I like a creamier oatmeal)
Ground Flax Seed (2 tbsp.)
Wheat Germ (1 tbsp.)
Bee Pollen (can find in Health Food Store, gives extra sweetness, but not necessary)
4 egg whites, either with one egg yolk or topped with salsa
or
Smoothie recipe found in book

Mid-Morning and Mid-Afternoon Snack--10:00 AM and 3:30 PM
Handful each of cashews and banana chips
or
Apple with a handful of Almonds
or
Apple with 2 tbsp. or almond butter
or
Melon with handful sized scoop of low-fat cottage cheese

Lunch and Dinner--1:00 PM and 6:30 PM
Grilled Chicken Breast (I do marinate mine.)
on spinach salad with tomatoes, grated carrot, a few chunks of avocado or a few crumbles of feta cheese, topped with Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil
or
Grilled Chicken Breast
Brown Rice
Broiled Broccoli (Sometimes I microwave too!)
or
Grilled Portabella Mushroom
on Ezekiel Bread toast with spinach, tomatoes and avocado topped with Balsamic and Olive Oil
or
Grilled Salmon (I have a great recipe that I'll post)
Quinoa (handful)
Broiled Asparagus
0r
Almond Butter on Toasted Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread
Handful of Strawberries or Carrots and Hummus
or
Brown rice with seasoned goat cheese mixed in, on top of a bed of spinach or 50/50 blend

I drink a tall glass of water at every snack and meal, and a cup of Bigelow Green Tea with Pomegranate at lunch and dinner. If I'm hungry, I'll have a bedtime snack at 9:00 or so. I did this more at the beginning of my diet but I'm generally not hungry anymore around that time.

Grilled Salmon Recipe (from Better Homes and Gardens)
for two portions
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel or lime peel
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, crushed
1 clove of garlic, minced (I use Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic, 1 tsp.)
Thaw fish, if frozen. For marinade, in a shallow dish combine lemon or lime peel, lemon or lime juice, oil, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary or thyme,garlic and 1 tablespoon water. Add fish, turn to coat with marinade. Cover and marinate at room temp for 30 minutes.
Drain fish. Place in tin foil wrap with a couple of spoonfuls of marinade on top. Grill directly over medium hot coals for 5 minutes. Turn over and grill 3-7 minutes more until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yum!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sarah, thanks for the information! Your menus look really good to me ... better than a few of the exotic/scary ideas in the book (elk, anyone?). What do you use to marinate your chicken? Thanks! Karen

Sarah said...

Lol, Karen! I just use a garlic and herb marinade most of the time, but I am experimenting with some different spices that would be more "eat-clean".