Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Obedience School

Tonight was Moxie's third obedience class. She really is doing very well. She's learning to sit, lay down, leave it, stay, watch and come. We're learning to give those commands. It's been neat to watch the kid's (and my) confidence grow in training her.

We brought the whole family to the first class. I quickly realized that wasn't going to work. I felt like I couldn't concentrate enough on what I was supposed to be doing with Moxie because I was focusing so much on the kids. So I told the kids that they could take turns going to the class. That has worked so well because the each kid gets a lot of Moxie training practice with the instructor's guidance.

Tonight was Seth's turn. Seth is so incredibly patient, and has always had such a connection with animals. He was a joy to work with and watch. Moxie loves him, and did her best "come" ever with him tonight. The instructor (pictured) complimented Seth on his excellent work tonight. The instructor informed us that there is certification testing this weekend. Dogs that become certified can become therapy dogs, which means that they can visit patients in nursing homes and hospitals. She said that one of the dogs would be ready to test for that. This particular dog is a yellow lab and is an absolute sweetheart, very calm and submissive. I love her, and I hope that Moxie can be as well-behaved as she is one day.

The instructor then turned to me and, in front of the whole class, said that we should consider certification (down the line) for Moxie too. She said that Moxie is sweet and playful, and is so aesthetically pleasing, and that you can't underestimate that quality. As her "Mom," my heart was bursting with pride! And what a cool thing to work toward with the kids and Moxie. They would be so proud of her if she would be able to pass her certification test and become a therapy dog, and what an excellent way for the kids to be able to serve others. I am in love with the concept!


1 comment:

Monkee said...

Congratulations to your family and Moxie!!! What a good girl!