Thursday, August 5, 2010

It started with a rectal thermometer...

We had to take Moxie to the vet today for her 4 month check up. We also had to have her ear looked at because we suspected she had an infection. Moxie rode in the back of the van with the boys for the first time, having outgrown the travel crate. The boys loved it, as did Moxie. :)

When we got to the vet's office, Moxie was overjoyed. She loved all of the smells, and licked all of the nurses and receptionists many, many times. (I loved that they kept saying, "Oh, thank you, thank you..." when she kissed them, although I might need to work on toning down her affection a little.) The kids laughed a lot at our crazy dog.

In the examination room, despite how excited Moxie was, the kiddos were calm. I had told them that it was important that they stay quiet so that I could learn from the vet how to help Moxie feel better. It worked. I was so proud of how good they were being, all lined up sitting against the wall. As this is not always the case, I have learned to appreciate it when it happens, lol.

Poor Moxie had an ear infection, probably due to the fact that her ears weren't dryed enough after a bath (my bad). In order to get her rabies shot, they had to take Moxie's temperature, and as they can't just stick a thermometer under a dog's tongue, it was not a comfortable experience for her. I explained to the kids what was going to happen, that sometimes babies' temperatures are taken the same way. When Moxie yelped, all 4 of the kids, right in a row, had the most anxious, sympathetic looks on their faces. Honestly, it was one of the sweetest moments...other than the fact that it started with a rectal thermometer. :) I loved seeing all four of them so concerned for her, ready to comfort her. I actually started to tear up!

There is no doubt about it. This little puppy has captured all of our hearts, and sharing and enjoying that love with my children is something remarkable.

1 comment:

Monkee said...

Awww...Poor Moxie. :( I bet she got lots of treats and lovin when she got home! :)