Saturday, November 27, 2010
It may not look like much...
...but this humble looking dish is my husband's favorite after-Thanksgiving meal. I actually think that this tetrazinni actually beats out the Thanksgiving day meal in his book. (I posted this recipe last year too.) I got the recipe from my friend, Georgia, and we both loved to serve it for family gatherings. It's easy to make the day before, keep it in the refrigerator overnight, and pop into the oven for a big family meal.
I do believe it will be what I make for our family Christmas meal this year.
Without further ado, here is......Turkey (or Chicken) Tetrazinni!!!
Turkey (about the same amount as a whole roasted chicken)
1 lb. of linguine
1 very large can of chicken broth
1/2 cup of flour
3 sticks of butter
2 cups of milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 celery stalks (diced)
10 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
1 roll of Ritz crackers
3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a very large pot, add turkey or chicken and broth. If using turkey, just cut up into bite-sized pieces before adding, and skip steps 2a, 2b and 2d. Bring to a boil.
2. a. Remove chicken from broth.
b. Remove chicken from bone. Cut into small pieces
c. Break linguine in half and add to the broth.
d. Add chicken back to broth.
e. Also add the chopped onion, chopped celery and sliced mushrooms.
3. Cook until past is Al dente. There should be very little broth left in the pot. Put lid on pot and turn off stove.
4. a. In a separate saucepan, melt 2 sticks of butter.
b. Slowly add the flour.
c. Add milk.
d. Add mushroom soup.
e. Add one cup of cheese.
f. Keep stirring and cook until cheese is melted.
g. Add this mixture to the linguine pot and stir.
5. Spray 9 x 13" pan with Pam. Add the linguine mixture.
6. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheddar cheese on top.
7. In a separate saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter.
a. Take a roll of Ritz crackers and empty them into a large storage bag and seal.
b. Squeeze crackers in your hands until they are in small pieces.
c. Add to melted butter and mix well.
8. Sprinkle crackers on top of casserole.
9. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 45-60 minutes.