Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy birthday, Mom!

My mom turned 17 today! And somehow I'm turning 40 this year...

My mom is actually a leap year baby, born on February 29th. Because she was born at home, her doctor suggested to my grandma that they make her birthday March 1st to make things simpler. However, the original birthdate is the one she's going with today. She is, perhaps, the youngest grandma in existence!

So, we took my young mom out to dinner at our favorite pizza place, the restaurant that we always ordered our pizza from when I was growing up. YUMMY! It was delicious, a fact that Evan confirmed when he told our waitress repeatedly (with gusto), "I LOVE PIZZA!" Our table was right next to a kids' play room, complete with video games and a teeter-totter, so the kids were very happy.

Next we headed to another restaurant/play place...McDonald's. We wanted to use SKYPE to call my sister, Lisa, and her family down in Texas, and McDonald's was the only place that we knew had WiFi (sp?). My cousins, Mary and Pat, introduced us to the idea of SKYPE when we got together last. If you are not familiar with SKYPE, it's a service that allows you to place FREE video calls using your computer. My mom was excited about this idea because she can use it to talk to her grandkids. We tried it out for the first time last night, with the help of Pat and Mary(thank you!), and had such a fun time including Lisa and her family in the McDonald's part of my mom's birthday celebration. :)

Lisa's kids were so sweet...they made her a cute "Happy Birthday!" sign that they were able to show her.



Here's what we were looking at...


SKYPE even allows you to take a snapshot of your screen...so here are some of the beautiful people we were talking with last night...Will, Annie, Callie and Evie!
We love you, Mom, and hope that your ongoing birthday celebrations are FABULOUS!

4 comments:

Jim Wilcox said...

Hi Sara, I was looking forward to today's post to see how the B-Day celebration went. Love the Mom's 17! Thanks for sharing this; we love it!! and you! :-)

Sarah said...

Thanks, Jim! My mom said how much she loved talking with you and Marci on her birthday. You are always so thoughtful!
Love and XO,
Sarah

Jim Wilcox said...

Love and XO back at cha! I wish we lived closer... we'd be fameous friends!!

Oh; when you get a chance, call me about the migranes. 813.220.1335
I used to have them bad and have a "home remedy" you might try... :-)

Sarah said...

Me too, Jim!
I'll give you a call...I'll try anything. You know how it is. Migraines are not fun. :(