Friday, March 26, 2010

Planning Seth's future career

Sometimes, as a mom, I feel like I have such a weight on my shoulders.

It is partly my responsibility to analyze my children's strengths, encouraging them through the right activities or experiences or conversations so that they can have a fulfilling, happy, successful life now and in his adult years. I sometimes tend to overthink this, as Seth pointed out in a recent exchange I had with him.

Me: (Internal Thought Process) He's very good with animals...he has fish and frogs and we'll soon be getting a dog...the neighbors' pets all love him...he reads about animals all the time...we need to renew that zoo pass...hmmmm...maybe he'll be a zookeeper someday, or an animal trainer, or a veterinarian?

I share my ideas with Seth, trying to compliment him on his patience, kindness and understanding of animals, and suggest that working with animals might be a good career path for him someday. Want to know his response to all of my analyzing and planning for him?


Seth: "Mo-om, I'm 8. I don't need to figure that stuff out yet!"

Fair enough, Seth. :)

No comments: