Monday, May 17, 2010

Sharing books with my children


One of the things that I loved about my job as a school teacher was being able to connect with my students through books. My absolute favorite times of the day, and my favorite memories of teaching came from the moments where my students and I shared a powerful emotional experience together when I read aloud to them. I remember my teachers and principal reading aloud to me as a child (Thank you Mrs. Samples, Mrs. Taylor and Mr. Mesecher!), feeling those magical moments with them and my classmates, and so being able to experience those same moments with my students was something completely priceless to me, and something I will treasure forever.

And now experiencing those same moments with my own children...WOW, I reach sheer joy at times, and I am savoring these moments at a new level. Please forgive me if you think that I am "over the top," but tonight was one of those nights that I felt one of those moments with each of my children, and I definitely am on a high. :)

With Henry, we are reading the Percy Jackson series. He wanted to reread the series with me, and that is such an honor. He adored those 5 books, and I love that he wanted to experience them with me again.

Seth just had his First Communion, and received several children's Bibles. The past few nights, he's wanted to read one of them. Listening to his questions and seeing him make new connections tonight honestly almost made me giddy. ;)

Caroline is in the midst of an absolute explosion in her reading level. Her decoding and fluency have completely taken off, and thus I was in complete amazement of her tonight as she read "Diary of a Worm" and "Diary of a Fly," gifts from her sweet Uncle Jim and Aunt Karen.

Evan is in the throes of a love affair with the book, "Henry and Mudge: Puddle Trouble." We read it every night. Dave and I laugh at how he knows most of the words of the book, and how much he loves reciting them to us. I eat up precious moments like that with a spoon.

Sharing books with the children I love is one of the sweetest blessings of motherhood. (Can you tell I am a happy girl tonight?!)

4 comments:

Monkee said...

Awww :) You've inspired me to dust off some of my old books and read to the kiddos :P I remember my mom and dad reading me charlotte's web and Stuart Little (before there was a movie lol)

Ana Campanha said...

A passion for reading is one of the most amazing gifts a mother can "give" her children. My mom used to tell me how wonderful it would be when I learned how to read and how many awesome stories I would get to know! :)
Today, reading is my favorite thing to do whenever I have time!

Pierre Lapointe said...

It is a random event that I see your post as we have a Google alert for the name of our company, Sharing-Books.com. Your post reminded me of precious moments with our now adults children. There is a parent-child connection in sharing a story and in the discovery of the meaning of the written word by a child that stays with you forever.

Now if only we had grand kids :)

Congratulations for your beautiful family and for a great post.

Pierre Lapointe

Sarah said...

Thanks for your comments...It's fun to hear from kindred spirits out there! And very cool website and company, Pierre!