Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It was one of the scariest moments in my life...

...and I didn't even realize it until it was over. (Don't worry. Everything is ok now.)

My husband and his uncle were working on the basement, Evan was napping, and I was out running errands. After I was done, I went straight to school to pick up Henry, Seth and Caroline. Henry and Seth decided to walk home with some friends (my friend, Kathy's boys), and Caroline wanted to ride home with me in the van. We were all walking in the same general direction, Caroline and I heading toward the van and the boys and their friends toward the end of the school.

All of the sudden, I heard my friend, Kathy, calling my name. I looked over at her, and saw two of the teachers from the school with a young boy. A boy with blond hair, a Superman shirt, and dinosaur shoes.

My heart stopped. It was Evan.

After his nap, he had left our house without my husband and Uncle Gary knowing, rode his tricycle to right across the street from the school, and crossed a street busy with cars coming to pick kids up from school.

Evan was walking back and forth near the end of the school when the two teachers noticed him. He said that he was looking for his mommy. The teachers were trying to tell him that he needed to go back toward the front entrance of the school because they assumed that's where I was. That's when he spotted Seth. The teachers started walking him back toward the entrance, and he started struggling to go over to Seth, saying "But that's my brother!" That's when my friend, Kathy, noticed Evan, and quickly called me over.

Oh. my. word. The mad rush of thoughts that went through my brain at that second. The terrifying possibilities. The adrenaline.

Thank you, God, that you kept Evan safe...

...that Evan chose, of all possible routes, to go to school. How many other ways could he have gone and gotten himself completely lost?

...that he crossed the street safely during such a busy time of the day.

...that today's traffic was cut down some because it was our school's "Walk to School" Day promoting fitness.

...that the timing was such that he was there at school right when I was picking up the kids.

...that Evan listened intently as I explained to him why he can never leave the house without Mommy or Daddy. And then listened again, and again, and again, and again, and again today. I think he got it. He took it upon himself to then share his lesson learned with his brothers and sister. :)

...that Home Depot sells locks that will be installed tomorrow out of Evan's reach at the top of our doors leading outside. Apparently, doorknob covers are not enough.

Thank you, God, for watching over my baby!

No comments: