Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An unexpected step forward

Today was busy (like I couldn't say that about every day!). But there really was just a lot going on today. We were packing Caroline up to go for an overnight at my mom's house. (She was on Cloud 9 about it. "When does Grandma come?," were the first words out of her mouth this morning.) We had a playdate for Henry and Seth, and the kids were over for most of the day. Laundry had piled up, so I was trying to get my head above water with that. And, of course, there is the ongoing potty training of our youngest.

Evan and I were kind of out of sync with the potty today. We continually got him to the potty too late. (He'd generally go if I have him sit on the potty, but wouldn't come up with the idea on his own.) Part of it was because I wasn't focused, so he wasn't focused. I was doing too much at once. I was getting discouraged, but kept my game face so that he wouldn't get discouraged. Unfortunately, too much of the day went that way.

But...it might have turned out to be a good thing, a lesson in letting him become a little more independent in this process. After dinner tonight, Dave and I were watching a movie with the kids. I looked at the clock and thought, "Hmmm...I really should be bringing Evan to the bathroom." That's when he walked over to me and said, "Mama, I go potty." I was thinking he had just had an accident, that we had just missed it again. Nope. He grabbed my hand and led me to the bathroom. He went! He flashed the biggest smile when he was done!

Can't believe I'm blogging about this :). But, as I've said before, you've got to celebrate the small victories, right?!

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

Congrats to EVAN! Caroline and I just finished breakfast and decided to check in with NOSEK NEWS! I think that Caroline has had a good time because she has already told me that the next time, she would like pancakes with a smiley face and bacon. Caroline suggested that I write it down so I will remember! You can be very proud of your daughter because she was a perfect house guest! We are waiting for grandpa to get home from his bible class because we are going to Cosley Farm! See you later!
Love, grandma Orton