Monday, April 6, 2009

SPRING WINS!!!

Sure...things looked pretty grim and snowy this morning (see picture behind the pansies), but by this afternoon, our pansies had a much "springier" scene to look out on. And I just checked the weather...no more snow for the next 10 days. (You would hope so, right?!)

Spring is my FAVORITE season by far. I love all of the signs of spring, that we're ready to leave this cold, snowy season behind us for a season that's brighter, warmer, cheerier, and more colorful. Our pansies are doing well. Its so nice to watch them grow, seeing spring inside even when it seems like winter outside. I love to walk around the house to see what plants are coming up, especially knowing that we planted most of them.

My dad gave us a Kentucky Coffee Tree seed, and tonight we planted it. (I've never planted a tree from seed before.) You may wonder why we were in Dave's tool room to do that. The shell of the seed is so tough that you need to nick it...WITH A HACKSAW. (This was an activity that combines my love of gardening with his love of tools. Perfect.) Dave put it in his vice and went at it, with the kids supervising. We then planted it, and it is now in a pot in my kitchen. My brother and my dad planted a Kentucky Coffee tree seed in their yard about 15 years ago, I believe. You should see the thing now. Its huge! It would be very fun if we were that successful!

No comments: