Monday, February 16, 2009

Getting ready for Spring!!!!

When I was a little girl, I can remember planting seeds with my sisters and my dad. We'd go down to the basement where he had a little greenhouse set up, and we'd get a little dirty. What an amazing thing, that a tiny seed could turn into a plant with just a little soil, light and water. (I admit, I still think that its magical.) We'd grow the plants inside for a while, and soon enough spring would come. Our plants would be ready to grow outside.

So, today I was able to share that magic with Seth and Caroline. (Henry was at a playdate, and will plant his seeds tomorrow. Evan, on the other hand, is only allowed to play with dirt OUTSIDE at this point in his young life.) The kids LOVED it. They were very busy...they prepared our workspace by spreading the newspapers, they spooned the soil into the flats, placed the seeds and covered them up, and watered them. Ten to twelve weeks from now, we'll be able to plant our pansies outside!

They were chatting the whole time, mostly talking shop. Seth said, "I love this kind of work. It'll make the plants grow and the flowers come. And then the bees will get the pollen from the flowers, make honey, and then I'll be able to have more peanut butter and honey sandwiches!" Caroline was making a list of everything she wants to plant this year. According to her, we are going to have a very full garden.

I can't wait for spring!

Spooning the dirt into the flats

Seth planting the pansy seeds

Caroline watering our flatSeth and Caroline posing by our mini greenhouse

No comments: