Thursday, July 8, 2010

Twiddling our thumbs

We're losing two ash trees in our backyard to the emerald ash borer. While they are declining, we decided to plant a tree to take their place. I love it. It's a seedless honey locust, and I've admired the ones at my parent's house, my mother and father-in-law's, and my brother and sister-in-law's. They grow quickly, they provide light shade, and their small leaves don't require raking in the fall. Planting it means that we'll have to be rearranging a tree and some bushes in our yard, but that's ok. We always need something else to do. The puppy, the kids and the basement are not keeping us busy enough. ;)

I've felt bad lately because we have not been having the kids' friends over as much as I'd like. Yes, they've been playing at their friends' houses, but I have not been reciprocating enough. The house obviously has been crazy with the new puppy and the basement work, so I'm a LEETLE behind. I've decided that I can't let that stand in the way of getting together with the kids' friends. Instead of hostessing a playdate at home, we have been meeting groups of friends at the park. It's been great to get together with our friends and not be embarrassed at the state of our house. :)

1 comment:

Monkee said...

I feel ya sister. We won't let kiddos bring friends over because our house is usually a mess too. However, I cleaned the upstairs finally. Not up to my normal standard, but it will do until we move. New house is going to come with a LOT of new rules.... :D