Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just call him Seth Silverstein

Seth is having a hard time falling asleep tonight. He's too excited.

Why? Well, his teacher said that tomorrow he gets to share his favorite book with his class. He asked me to guess which one I thought he would bring in. I knew immediately.

Seth loves Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends with a passion. He sleeps with it right by his bed, he carries it with him everywhere, and its silliness really tickles Seth's funny bone. And tomorrow, he gets to bring it to school to share some of its poems with his class. He's a happy boy.

Here are two of his favorites:
AFRAID OF THE DARK
I'm Reginald Clark, I'm afraid of the dark
So I always insist on the light on,
And my teddy to hug,
And my blanket to rub,
And my thumby to suck or to bite on,
And three bedtime stories,
Two trips to the toilet,
Two prayers and five hugs from my mommy,
I'm Reginald Clark, I'm afraid of the dark
So please do not close this book on me. (Seth left the book open for Reginald tonight!)

US (With this poem, there is a picture of a man who has two faces.)
Me and him
Him and me, We're always together
As you can see.
I wishhe'd leave
So I'd be free
I'm getting a little bit
Tired of he,
And he may be a bit
Bored with me.
On movies and ladies
We cannot agree.
I like to dance
He loves to ski.
He likes the mountains
I love the sea.
I like hot chocolate
He wants his tea
I want to sleep
He has to pee.
He's meaner and duller
And fatter than me
But I guess there's worse things
We could be--
Instead of two we could be three,
Me and him
Him and me.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

What a handsome boy! I love his laugh!

Love,
mom

Ana Campanha said...

Cute stories!