Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Happy 6th birthday, sweet Caroline!

Pretty cool birthday date this year...9/9/09!

So, here's what happened 6 years ago today!

On 9/9/03, it was Henry's first day of preschool. It was a busy morning. We dropped Seth off at a friend's house, went to the grocery store, and then went to preschool. Parents stayed in the classroom for that first day, and that is actually when my contractions started!

Henry and I left a little early, picked up Seth, and we headed home to make some lunch. The contractions started getting a little stronger, but I can remember thinking that I had to finish lunch and get the kids down for a nap, and then I would call the doctor.

By the time I was done making PB&J's, I was fairly certain that I was in labor. My neighbor came over, and I drove myself to my doctor's office. After my doctor examined me, I half expected her to say that it was false labor, and that I should go home. Instead, she said that I needed to walk right over to the hospital next door and check in. I remember being a little disappointed because I wanted to drive over to the other hospital that offered massages, manicures and pedicures. Apparently there was no time. :)

Things went very quickly after that. While I was checking in, I was in hard labor. I called Dave, my mom and my sister, and was very worried that they wouldn't make it to the hospital in time. Thankfully, Dave and my mom were able to make it, and at 6:04, our little Caroline was born. My sister, Karen, arrived 5 minutes later, and was one of the first people to hold her God daughter.

My mother-in-law came to watch Henry and Seth as soon as she could, and the next day, they all came to the hospital to visit their new baby sister. My father-in-law, my dad, Dave's Grandma and his Aunt Debby also visited. When it was time for the kids to go home, they were very upset that they could not bring their baby home with them right then.

And now I've blinked and my baby girl is 6 years old. Crazy. :)

No comments: