Friday, September 4, 2009

Caroline's homework

Caroline came bounding out of school a few days ago with a big red folder in her backpack, insisting that I take it out right away. I convinced her to leave it in there until we got home, which she did, but she also took it out the minute we got home.

In it was a month's worth of Kindergarten homework. It was amazing. Truly amazing. Having been a teacher, I know how much planning and work that must have been for Caroline's teacher. I actually felt a little jolt of excitement...again, I was a teacher, so pardon my enthusiasm :)...thinking about all that she was going to learn this year, and how much fun it will be to watch her learn and grow with this teacher's guidance.

I also felt slightly overwhelmed. Caroline's teacher does have the kindergarteners do a lot of homework, and it looked like a lot all in that one folder. A couple of my friends were joking that when you get the homework folder, pour yourself a glass of wine, and then you can look at all of it.

The next day, while Caroline was at school and Evan was napping, I jumped in and sorted through all of it. It really was so well put together. All I had to do was a little bit of reading and cutting, and bingo, we have a little something to do each day this month.

Caroline loves it! After we get the boys to school and clean up a bit, she knows that we take some time to do her homework. She feels like such a big kid, doing homework just like her big brothers. There are so many fun and creative activities that Caroline's teacher suggested. It is definitely a time that we both look forward to everyday.

Here she is telling about one of the activities we did today. Enjoy!

No comments: