Monday, August 17, 2009

The Traditional First Day of School Shot

We are T-minus one week and one day from the first day of school. I can't believe it. Oh, how the summer has flown.

As good as it sound to me to have a little more time to get things done when the kids are in school, I am not quite the mom that is ready to push the kids out the door back to school. (OK, maybe I have been a few times this past couple of weeks...) Mainly though, I find it a bittersweet time. There's the excitement over the new teachers, the new classes, the new supplies...I tend to feel a lot of the same feelings my children are feeling. But there's also the feeling that I'm not quite ready to let go of this time, these long days of summer where we spend so much time together.

I look back at these pictures that I traditionally take on the first day of school, and I marvel at how much each of the kids have changed, and I think about how much they will change this year. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around. In many ways, I'd like to hold on to this summer for a little while longer than the week we have left.

2005--Henry (Kindergarten), Seth (Preschool), Caroline (almost 2)
2006--Henry (1st Grade), Seth (Preschool), Caroline (almost three), Evan (in utero!)
2007--Henry (2nd Grade), Seth (Kindergarten), Caroline (1st year preschool), Evan (not pictured, 9 months)
2008--Henry (Third Grade), Seth (First Grade), Caroline (2nd year preschool), Evan (1 3/4 years)

No comments: