Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It did not go well...

I wish that I could say that it did. But it didn't.

Our youngest son is a fan of water, but not so much a fan of separating from Mommy. Therefore, swimming lessons are not his favorite thing right now.

He cried the whole time.

It was heart wrenching.

His teacher and the head instructor both reassured me that kids cry like this all the time. They told me that the best thing to do was to tell Evan I'd come back, leave him with them and leave the pool, making sure that when I watch from outside he can't see me.

I felt like I was abandoning him. I felt like crying myself.

He eventually cried a little quieter. I am sure that the other swimmers and their parents were grateful for that.

When the swimming lesson was over, I greeted Evan cheerfully, and he told me, "Mommy came back!" I asked his teacher if we should continue his lessons, and she said that he definitely should. I wasn't sure if they would want him back, but they said that he is in the right place.

I hope so. We'll see. The next lesson is Thursday. Would you say a little prayer? ;)