Monday, February 25, 2013

Skiing with the Scouts

When I was 13, I went skiing for the first time, and I loved it.  When the opportunity arose for Henry and Seth to go skiing with their Boy Scout troop, we jumped at the chance.  To be able to share this adventure with the boys who are now about the same age as I was when I first skied was pretty cool.

We left bright and early with some of our best friends to travel to the Wisconsin Ski Resort, and made it to our lessons on the bunny hills by 10:00.  We had kind of a rocky start because Henry wasn't feeling well at first, but he quickly recovered.  Thank God!  He would have been so disappointed if he would have missed out.
We were all pretty awkward on our skis at first, and there was some serious frustration, but soon caught on.  On the bunny hills, we polished our starts, stops, turns, and getting back up after a fall.  Because they took a lesson and spent the day skiing, the boys earned their skiing merit badge.  That was Seth's first merit badge, and what a great one to start with!
We headed back to the lodge for a group picture with the scouts...
and lunch to fuel our bodies for the many hours of skiing that lay ahead of us.

After lunch, we moved from the bunny hills to the green hills.  The boys and their friends got to ride ski lifts!

After Henry and his friend Alex became accustomed to the green hill, their friends Grant and Matt took them to another hill.  It was labeled a black diamond hill, but it wasn't that hard.  The boys did very well, and even tried some jumps!
Here's Henry at the top of the black diamond hill.  He loved how fast it was, and managed to stay on his feet most of the time.
It was such an adventure and thrill to share with my boys.  We can't wait to go again!
I love these smiles!
Here are the boys in action!  Henry is first,

skiing 003 from Sarah Nosek on Vimeo.

and then Seth.

skiing 004 from Sarah Nosek on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun!! Skiing is something my family (as in Mike and the kids) LOVE to do. I have never been. Part of me wants to try, and the other part reminds me that skiing is done in the snow...which is cold...and I'd rather be on a beach ;)

Sarah said...

Lol, I know, I usually am the same way. I absolutely hate being cold. I am usually the last one to be outside for making snowmen or snowball fights, but put skis on me, and I hardly notice the tempurature because I'm having such a blast! You should give it a try, Joy!