Thursday, January 6, 2011

I think I'm on to something...

My sister, Lisa, visited over Thanksgiving. She had lost some weight, and I commented on how great she looked. She was thinner, and her hair and skin looked beautiful. She told me that she had read Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet book, and how much it has helped her. She explained that she is eating 6 small meals a day, and that basically the meals combine a complex carbohydrate (including grains, vegetables and fruit) and a lean protein. She drinks lots of water, a couple of cups of green tea, but no pop or juice. She was never hungry as she ate about every three hours. She feels better and has more energy than she had for a long time.

All of that really appealed to me, and I wanted to follow her lead. Truthfully, I have not really been living a healthy lifestyle. I drink too much caffeine through pop and horribly caloric chai tea lattes, and eat too many sweets. I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. I don't get enough sleep. I don't exercise. I'm heavier than I have ever been (aside from when I was pregnant), my complexion isn't clear, I'm ALWAYS tired, and quite often don't feel well. After talking to her I decided to try to "eat clean", get to bed earlier, and start exercising.

However, I knew that I might not be as successful in changing my diet if I started during the holidays. So I vowed to prepare myself to start on January 2nd, after our last holiday party. Toward the end of the holidays, when I didn't need quite as much caffeine ;), I started to wean myself off of Diet Coke and Chai Tea Lattes. I picked up the Tosca Reno's book and started reading. I asked my sister's advice as far as her favorite meals and snacks, and made up a shopping list.

On January 2nd, I started. I am on my fifth day of eating clean, and I feel fantastic. I am never hungry, I feel good and have lots of energy, and I have lost 7 pounds. (Apparently, that sometimes happens at the beginning of this diet, but I should lose about 2-3 pounds a week after this from now on.) I've been walking and running on my treadmill, enjoying my food, and feeling hopeful and happy. My sister and I have been checking in with each other every day, and that encouragement is such a good thing.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Monkee said...

wow! way to go! :) I too have scratched MOST of my diet pop and coffee consumption (I litterally drank about 12 cans a day, and two or 4 glasses at night, PLUS2-4 cups of coffee)

I allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning and one can of diet coke a night. However, I am finding that the more water I drink (at least 8-10 glasses a day), the more I want that instead of coffee and pop.

I started taking my vitamins again, and my other suppliments. I feel great, other than the extream tiredness...and I think that is from the MASSIVE caffiene withdrawal, but hopefully that will subside soon. Good luck!!!