Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We've discovered new territory.

We have been to the zoo two other times this year, and we really covered a lot of ground in those visits. However, everything that we visited, we've visited before. Yesterday, we went to the zoo with one of my high school friends and her two children, and they showed us a part of the zoo that we've never seen before (aside from Henry who had visited this particular spot on a field trip with school). It amazes me, and also slightly embarasses me, that we were not even aware of a whole section of the zoo. Those of you who know me well might understand that reading maps is not one of my strong suits, but I am working on that.

So, we went to The Living Coast, and it was the general consensus that it is our new favorite place at the zoo. The kids got to climb on a life size replica of a leatherback turtle

see giant waves crashing over them,
get eaten by large fish (borrowing a line from Henry's blog!),

and see large alligators just a few feet away.
After that exciting exhibit, we headed to the butterfly house, where the highlight of the visit was a butterfly landing right on Evan's tushy. As you might have guessed, hilarity ensued.

Right outside of that exhibit, I snapped this picture of my favorite 7 year old.
And, as the grand finale of this post, here's the whole motley crew from our day at the zoo together.

No comments: