Thursday, July 23, 2009

Our backyard pets

There is no doubt about it. Our children love exploring our back yard in search of little critters that they can call their own, if only on a temporary basis. Just yesterday they found a little toad. Young Caroline was bursting to tell everyone, including my Aunt Shirley, who I had just been talking to on the phone. She repeatedly told her Great Aunt how cute the toad was, how sweet and little.

Evan knows just what to do to keep a toad contained, but was also thrilled to keep peeking in at and showing off his little temporary pet.
They are always a little sad to let their pets go, but I think that it is easier for them to accept when they know they'll probably catch something else, possibly even the next day.

And it turned out that Caroline did catch something the very next day. Something she thought was even cuter and sweeter. Something that she wanted to keep forever. Here's a picture of what she caught. Any guesses?Caroline had been in the backyard today while Dave was playing with Seth. Dave noticed that she was digging with a little sand shovel in the corner of the yard. A few minutes later she came running over to Dave, saying, "DADDY, LOOK AT THESE CUTE, LITTLE CATERPILLARS I FOUND!!!" Dave took a look, and marveled at the little creatures with her. He insisted that she show what she found to me when I was done putting Evan down for his nap. While she waited, she drew that picture. Any guesses yet? Hint: They were NOT caterpillars.

When I came downstairs, Caroline quickly ran up to me and showed me what she found. I looked into her bucket and saw...

GRUBS!

Now, I have to admit, I did not find them cute or sweet. In fact, I did have to stifle a natural "Ewwww" reflex in order to protect my daughter's feelings.

They really are not a good looking insect, and they really are not that little. They were the size of a cicada.

We observed them for a little bit, and I did bring myself to call them interesting...fascinating even. And then we put them away for Dad to "release" later. ;)

Guess what Dave was doing tonight? Despite my daughter's wishes, I really don't want to keep those lawn grubs forever. God bless the people that make Grub-X.

2 comments:

Ana Campanha said...

OMG! These little insects are so creepy to me! Cicadas almost make me feel sick.. im so afraid of them. And that's silly cause I'm a biologist and I'm supposed to like insects.. well.. I don't! Caroline is much braver than me!! :)

Sarah said...

That is so funny! My dad studies insects for a living, so I'm thinking that maybe Caroline gets her bravery from her Grandpa. :)