Monday, June 1, 2009

Up


I took the three older kids to the movie theater today to celebrate the boys' last day of school. We saw the movie Up, and we all give it a HUGE thumbs up. Truly, it was a movie that makes you laugh, cry, cheer...all of that good stuff.

It was also the perfect movie for us to see at the beginning of the summer. One of the premises of the movie is finding adventure in your every day life, and enjoying it with the people that you love. So, there I was watching the movie, feeling all philosophical, crying to boot, thinking about this summer.

In past summers, I have filled the kids' schedules with all kinds of camps, sports, classes, you name it. This summer I wanted to try to change things up a bit, and try to save some money. We cut back on what the kids are involved in individually and are planning more activities that I can do with the lot of them. I know that the kids will not stay this age forever, and that there might come a day where they don't want to do as much with their siblings, their family. But right now, we're all pretty excited about it.

HOWEVER, upon bringing the kids home from their last morning of school, I have to admit that I was having some feelings resembling panic. Oh my, what have I done? Two and a half months! How in the world are we going to fill all of that time? I calmed myself by thinking of our plans. We'll be able to go to the pool, the lake, the zoo, museums, and the arboretum, visit with friends, visit my siblings. The boys are going to Cub Scout camp, and all three older ones are going to spend some time at Grandma and Grandpa Nosek's house while going to VBS. It will all be ok. But I was still feeling slightly unsettled considering the vast expanse of the summer ahead of us.

So, while watching the movie with the kids, soaking in the message, laughing and enjoying being with just them, I started feeling less overwhelmed, and more excited about what's in store for us this summer. And I am thankful that we have time to do it all, ordinary or extraordinary. Together.

No comments: