Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Gaining Ground

When I was a child, I always had a case of the blues once Christmas Day was past. Sure, there were lots of toys to play with, and a school break to be enjoyed, but there was always a slight let down after such a building of excitement and anticipation.

I still feel the same feeling of melancholy as an adult. (I'm sure I'm not alone in this.:) )However, weeks of preparation, countless late LATE nights, emotions running high, keeping up with the kids and housework adds sheer exhaustion to this feeling of let down. And then on top of that, I always feel so overwhelmed with the influx of toys, not knowing where to go with things.

Thank God there is a peacefulness to this time after Christmas too. Things do slow down, and even if the house is a crazy wreck with laundry and toys everywhere, there's more time to address it...after a nap, after putting together a few toys, after playing with the kids.

So that's what we've been doing the past few days. Resting and playing. Playing and resting. And today, I finally gathered enough energy to do laundry, to clean, and to find places for the new toys.

Having done that, I feel so much better tonight. We're catching up and putting our house back in order, and that just feels good. I now have hope that things will return to "normal" soon.

But now that we've done some work, we're exhausted. I'm curling up with the kids and watching a movie. :)

No comments: