Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Huge Progress

When Evan started taking swimming lessons, his separation anxiety seemed insurmountable. I had to sit right at pool's edge to get him to even contemplate going in to the water. He didn't want to even look at his teacher (Jeremy), much less listen to instruction. He wouldn't interact with the other kids, partially because he was too busy crying. And sometimes that would be for the entire lesson.

Jeremy reassured me that he had seen this before, and he knew what to do. He told me that it was not all that uncommon for kids to have this hard of a time. I put my trust in Jeremy, knowing that he's been teaching swimming lessons for years and years, and probably knew what he was doing.

It's been amazing to see him conquer his seperation anxiety. We used to have tears when I told him we were going to swimming lessons, and now we have cheers! This morning I told Evan that we were leaving for swimming lessons right after we dropped the boys off at school. Unfortunately, I forgot something, so I drove back home to pick it up. When I pulled in to our driveway, Evan got all upset and said, "No, Mommy, we don't go home. We're going to Jeremy's house!" (I love that he calls swimming lessons "Jeremy's house!")

So, now he's been progressing in his swimming skills, making little friends,
and bonding with another swimming instructor that has been working with him. I'm so proud of him!

Here's a couple videos...

For safety reasons, the teachers insist that the kids walk slowly on the line around the pool and hold hands. I find it about the cutest thing in the world to watch...


Evan is becoming an old pro at jumping in the water and doing a back float...

No comments: