Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just one of those days.

I think that God was working on my humility today. It definitely knocked my confidence level down a notch or two.

Last night after CCD and First Communion pictures, Seth and I went to pick up some milk at the grocery store. Five minutes later we were home, got all the kids to bed, and then went to bed ourselves.

This morning I woke with a sinking feeling that I left the milk in the car. I was right. Good start to the day.

Then I very creatively packed the boys lunches, as the cupboards were pretty bare. I put the lunches in the backpacks. A couple of minutes later, Henry looked in his backpack and couldn't find his lunch. It was no where to be found. So, as it was time to go to school, I promised Henry that I would look for his lunch and bring it to school when I found it.

I kept looking while getting Evan ready for his swimming lessons and making coffee for Uncle Gary, who, as you know, is helping to finish the basement. I still couldn't find the lunch. We headed to swimming lessons, and then took Evan, Caroline and her friend, Jane, to McDonald's playplace. I knew that there was no way I could scrounge up more food for the kids in the kitchen. I could also pick up some food on the way out for Henry's lunch.

On the way out, with getting the kids ready to go, I completely forgot to pick up Henry's lunch. I realized that fact when I was dropping the girls off for Kindergarten. Where was my head today?! I felt like the worst mom in the world.

So I picked Henry up from school, took him to McDonald's. Evan, in the mean time, fell asleep in the car. I knew that meant that instead of getting his full nap in the afternoon, this cat nap would be all he would get. That in turn, meant a cranky boy, and a mom who gets less done. :( I dropped Henry back off at school just in time for recess with his friends. At that point, the school secretary told me that I had packed Henry's lunch in Caroline's bag. BRILLIANT.

When we got home, Uncle Gary was to have left for the day because he had some appointments in the afternoon. Unfortunately, his truck had died. He was in the process of trying to get his truck towed to a repair shop, and the tow truck driver was refusing his AAA coverage because he said the truck was too big. The rest of the afternoon, until just before I picked the kids up to school, we worked on getting the truck towed and food for Uncle Gary.

I picked up the kids from school, made cookies with the kids so that they'd have a little snack, Jane's mom came to pick her up, and we headed out to swimming lessons for the other kids. Dave had to get some more drywall for the basement, and then he picked up some groceries. (Thank God!)

We had fast food for the second time today, and finally were home around 8:30. We got the kids to bed, and then I fell into bed myself.

I was telling my husband that I am realizing, now that his focus is primarily on the basement, how much he usually does to help with general housework. I'm a little swamped, but I am trying to just get done as much as I can, let some stuff go, and try not to let it bother me, roll with the punches, and remember that this won't last forever. In the end, our efforts will pay off in a finished basement, which will be a very good thing.

Jane came for the last time today, so now we'll have a little more flexibility for when we go grocery shopping. However, Caroline will miss her terribly. She has loved having a playdate every day for the past two weeks. She'll miss her "twin sister."

I'm praying that the day goes a little smoother tomorrow, that I'm a little more with it, and that I might actually get something done around the house. :)

1 comment:

Monkee said...

Wow! Sounds like you had "one of those days". I hope tomorrow will be better!