Thursday, January 14, 2010

Swimming Lessons Car Ride, the Musical

We travel about an hour round trip for swimming lessons. Truthfully, the kids entertain themselves by reading, playing their DSs or Leapster, and bugging each other most of the time. :) However, many times we also have a chance to talk, tell stories, and sing some silly songs. Tonight, we were all about singing.

My dad would often sing silly songs from his childhood to his three daughters and one son. He has an amazing voice, and sang all the time when we were growing up. It didn't matter where we were or what we were doing...sleeping, doing chores, driving, shopping in the grocery store, etc. :) I have many fond memories, and its such fun to share them with my kids.

So, tonight I was singing some of my favorites to the kids, telling the stories behind the songs. Henry especially liked this first one, Sweet Violets. I was unsure of all of the lyrics of the song, so when we got home tonight, we called my dad to ask him the rest of the words. He indulged us by singing the song over the phone. Thanks, Dad!


I can remember requesting these next two songs when I was about 5 years old, riding on top of my dad's shoulders walking through the Jewel Osco. My older sisters might have been slightly embarrassed by it, but I was young enough to eat it up. (I love the guy who sings this song here and the ambiance in this clip.)
Mairzy Doats


Chickery Chick


My dad is a very spiritual man. He especially loves hymns, and taught us a few of them. These two stand out in my memory, partly because of when they were sung.
This first one my dad would have us sing, in rounds :), while we were washing and drying dishes.
Angels We Have Heard on High


I remember this next song vividly. At the time, I did not appreciate its beauty as much as I might have, perhaps because my dad would sometimes wake me up EARLY in the morning with it. He's always been a morning person, and in high school, many times I was not. At this point in my life, I can now look back with some fondness. ;)
Wake, Awake, For Night is Flying


There you go...hope you enjoyed this little taste of Sarah Orton Nosek's musical history. XO Dad! Love you!

No comments: